Wednesday, June 25, 2014

28 mm Scifi Vehicle Comparison

Size Comparison of a Few SciFi Vehicles Available Commercially

Inspiration

Dentatus posted a size comparison of six vehicles from various manufacturers on TMP and I wanted to show some vehicles other than the ones he showed.  Please forgive me, but his photos were much better than mine, but I think that mine still are helpful.  Also, please understand that these are not all of the different vehicles I have, just the ones I could get to fairly easily.

Materials

Just the vehicles themselves and a lot of my time.

The large tan vehicle is an Imperial Guard Baneblade from Epicast, I believe.  This is an excellent model with relatively few pieces and extremely sturdy.  I do not believe that this vehicle has been in production for many years and I acquired this one off of ebay.

The vehicle on the front at left is a very nicely designed AT-43 Oni Medium Tank, I believe. The entire line of Oni vehicles, of which I have five different, are very well made and come prepainted.  As of the writing of this post, these vehicles are no longer in production, but may be found on ebay, or sometimes on TMP.

The vehicle next to the Oni vehicle is a Leman Russ Tank from Games Workshop, and these are still in productionl

The very small (by comarison) four wheeled vehicle between the Leman Russ and the body of the Baneblade is a Junkers Dune Buggy.  There are five or six variants of this vehicle available.  The line was originally produced by I-kore, but is currently made by Scotia Grendel.  It is a very nice vehicle, but you need several of them.

As with all of the photos I have in this post, the miniatures shown are an Assault Arakton from Scotia Grendel (a very nice miniature), a Hydrissian from Alpha Forge Games (but who produces them now, I am unsure), and an old Bauhaus Seal Lion from Warzone (alas, no longer in production, but possibly available from Prince Autust).








The vehicle on the left side of the photo is a Kryomek Tracked Heavy Spore Launcher from Scotia Grendel.  It is a very nice vehicle and the line is the only one that is available for Tyranid or Kryomek type miniatures. There are several variants - the tank, an APC, a missile launcher, and a bio tank.  They come in tracked and hover varieties.

The vehicle next to the Spore Launcher is a Wheeled Tank from the Nexus line of Kryomek miniatures by Scotia Grendel. These are very nice vehicles, but they are a little bit small as compared with the other vehicles shown.

The vehicle next to the tank is the Hover APC from the same Nexus line from Scotia Grendel. The turret can be seen in fron the the upper hull of the APC. There is also a metal hatch, an antenna, a machine gun, and a minigun which can be attached to the turret.

The vehicle on the left is a Scorpion Battle Tank from Armorcast.  I have two more types of vehicles from the same line based on the same chassis - a missile launcher and a rocket launcher.  These are very well made, but not all of them are currently available from Armorcast.  There is another vehicle which I do not have - a Scarab APC - which is very nice.  Contact Armorcast and request that they bring the Scarab back into production as it is a very nice vehicle.








The vehicle on the left is a Syntha Cyclops Hades Grav Tank by Scotia Grendel.  There is also a Nemesis Grav Tank, which I have not pictured.  They are very nice, but also somewhat small, as the Syntha do not have actual "crew" since the tank is run by AI.

The vehicle next to the Cyclops is a VASA Tau Mk III.  It was originally make by I-kore, but is currently manufactured by Scotia Grendel.  I have only shown the rocket launcher turret as I can not find the mingun turret...sorry.

The vehicle next to the Tau Mk III is a VASA Ronin.  I have only shown one chassis because it is the same for all three variants.  The group of metal parts at the top on the right are the ones that are used to make the APC variant, the group of parts in the middle on the right are for the Heavy Assault Ronin, and the parts at the bottom on the right are the ones for the Riot Control Ronin.

The tan miniature at the bottom is a very nice Sentry Robot from Armorcast, which, sadly, is no longer in production.  Again, contact Armorcast to get this miniature back into production please.

Something that I had originally forgotten to mention was that you can not just buy the APC variant.  You actually have to purchase the Minesweeper Ronin, and leave off the minesweeper parts.  Somewhat unfortunate since the minesweeper parts apparently cost 5 British Pounds more.

















The vehicle on the left is the Merkave Mk VII by Antenociti's Workshop.  It is a very nice tank, but last time I checked was no longer in production.

The turret to the left of the blue chassis is the one for the Bucephalus Grav Tank also by Antenociti's Workshop.  I did not show the entire tank because the chassis is much the same for both tanks.  In my opinion, this is the best hover tank on the market right now.

The vehicle on the right is the Novaya-Rus Skorpion Light Grav Tank, also from Antenociti's Workshop.  It is a very nice tank, but it is difficult to find the proper placement of the skids.  All of the metal pieces below the chassis and skids belong to the Skorpion.

Antenociti's Workshop also makes some other very nice vehicles - I really like their Warthog ADV and Viper Armored Reconnaisance Vehicle.  I have some of each, but could not get to them very easily.  Their entire line of vehicles is really very nice.




















I failed to add the last two comparisons I had - the Khurasan Caiman and Bobcat.  Unfortunately, when I originally set these two up, I was preparing a post to put on Dakka Dakka, so I did not use the miniatures I have used in the other pics, but the cutting pad is the same as in the other photos.  I have also included a slight modification I made to the minigun, swapping it out for a Games Workshop Assault Cannon.

The top one is, of course, the Caiman.  It is an excellent vehicle, but at about 8 inches long is quite large.

The Bobcat is about 7 inches long but is still a very large vehicle.  These are both exceedingly well made vehicles, the only problem being the undersized minigun in the turret at top right.

As can be seen in the two photos below, I have removed the minigun that was part of the turret and replaced it with the afforementioned Games Workshop Assault Cannon.







These are actually toys, which I feel are really an underutilized source of vehicles for gaming.

The three yellow vehicles at the left are the bodies of Wall-e robots from the Disney movie, I have just removed the parts I do not want.  These will eventually be APCs for different races in my games.  The smallest one is for my Grymm, the medium sized one will be for humans, and I have no idea about the big one...maybe for my scifi ogres from Bronze Age Minis.

The remainder of the vehicles are from the line of Atlantis toys.  There is a small tank which is also some sort of bridge layer, a supply truck, Cookie's chuck wagon, some sort of drilling or mining vehicle, and the one in the front is an armored car.  You can use the figure that come with the vehicles as they are very close to 28 mm scale.  The miniatures I removed from these vehicles often make appearances as gunners or tank commanders in some of my other posts.  You can get these from a resale shop,k




These vehicles are a very nice line that was available from Matchbox a few years ago. The two blue vehicles on the left were from a police set, the two blue, white, and silver vehicles at the bottom are from an arctic set, and the yellow vehicles are from some sort of mining set IIRC.  I am currently making a land train from the yellow pieces, so the "engine" part has been taken apart, the wheels and various pieces shown.  I have had to acquire these on the second hand market, so sometimes parts are missing.  Since I am going to convert all of these toys, missing parts is really no big deal.

The very small tank at the bottom on the right is a GI Joe ratpack vehicle which I have reappropriated to be a squat tank.  I have a separate post about its conversion.









No comments:

Post a Comment