Monday, June 23, 2014

A Hover Delivery Van

A New Vehicle from My Warped Mind

Inspiration

I had been looking for this piece for a few weeks, and finally found it.  It is the storage compartments for a 1/24th scale (I guess) road bike.  I had wanted to use it on one of the two previous vehicles I made, which I am still painting so have not posted yet, but I could not locate it.  I have, literally, tens of thousands of bits to use, so sometimes locating a particular piece can be difficult. Anyway, I found it a few days ago while looking for parts for my TX-55 Mech, so I had it sitting out.  This piece is the only inspiration I have so far, but if I can find the right shapes, it should turn out nicely.

Materials


This is all I have to start with.  If you notice, in the second photo the place where it attaches to the motorcycle is angled back. After looking at it, I have decided to make something like Boba Fett's ship, Slave 1, from Star Wars, with the back being angled up from the cockpit.  I have not decided the mode of propulsion - tracks, wheels, skis, or hover - I will consider it later.  First, I need to find the type of cab I will use.  Looking at the piece, I need to find something that is either cigar shaped and probably about two inches long.  A cyllindrical object would work well, but I am concerned about room for the crew of two.  I will post more when I have found the right shapes or objects to continue working on the vehicle.






Here are the four components that I am starting with - the storage compartment is at the left, the piece next to it is from a GI Joe machine gun, the piece next to that is a disc I cut from a large shuttle (it may be a GI Joe piece too), and the piece on the right is the front of some sort of space fighter - it is, in fact, the front of the GI Joe Cobra Stellar Stiletto. Unfortunately, the piece I am using looks a lot like an internal combustion engine.  I had to remove some pipes that were attached to each side.











I was looking for something to make my cockpit with and I found the part I wanted.  I then went to find a inexpensive utility knife I had been given, and I decided to use the handle of the utility knife instead. It is made from styrene, so it should work just fine.  I decided to use the smaller end of the knife and save the larger end for another project.  I had to insert two 20 mm strips of plastic between the two halves in order to achieve the proper width.  The insertion can be seen in the front view with the black strips above and below the grill.
Here is the right side view of the project so far.  I am almost finished, I just have to add a hatch for the gunners compartment and fill in some places where my cuts were not as good as I would have preferred.  The gray piece at the upper right side of the cab is from a GW Space Marine speeder kit.







This is the front view of the vehicle.  The grill was from an old piece of electronics, but what type, I do not know.  You can see the black plastic strips above and below the grill.  The roof of the cab was made from the gray "mailbox" two photos above.  The windshield is a piece of scrap plastic.

Here is the left side view of the vehicle.  I like how it has turned out so far.  Soon, I will be painting it, than I will add the finished photos to this page.










Here is the front view of the new vehicle.  It is not entirely finished, but is very close.


Here is the right front of the new vehicle.
Here is the left front of the new vehicle.
Here is the left side of the vehicle.
Here is the right side of the vehicle.














The Finished Vehicle

The left side of the vehicle. Before anyone asks, the gunner is a repainted and converted figure from the Atlantis movie.
The right side of the vehicle.
This is the front view of the finished vehicle.
This is the large robot I will be using with this vehicle.  It is a part of a toy that I found and is made of a strange hard plastic and a soft rubbery plastic.
This is the right side of the large robot.  I created this vehicle to use in Salvage Dog games, so I needed a hover robot to go with the hover delivery van.
This is the left side of the robot.
This is a view from the top of the hover delivery van and the hover robot.

No comments:

Post a Comment