Friday, June 6, 2014

Making a Monotread Robot

Monotread Robot

Inspiration

I was painting some miniatures last week and the idea popped into my head to make a faction of monotreads for Star Mogul.  I have a lot of materials laying around, and the idea quickly came together.  A friend of mine gave me a large number of plastic tape hubs which he uses at work - when the spool is empty, it is just tossed in the recycle bin, so he brought some of them to me.  The monotread for the robot is actually the hub for paper used in various machines, the most common I have seen is a printing calculator.

The materials

The materials I used are, as I stated above, the hub off of a spool of paper, the tread from a 1/35th scale Bradley AFV, a head from a resin Warmachine Khador warjack, two pieces from Lego to make the fork, a torso from a Bandai Mobile Suit (I am unsure of the one I used), and some bits from my bits box.

This picture shows the hub from the spool of paper from which I made the wheel for the robot and the track I used.











The knobs had to be cut from the tread so that it would fit flat against the hub.

I had to grind the stubs down after cutting to give the treads a flatter surface.











 Here is the finished Robot...so far.  I have not yet created the arms, but will do so shortly.  I was working on some arms simultaneously with the robot, but they seemed too fragile and a bit too long.  I may use one of the fragile arms and make the other one a little more robust.

The torso from the Mobile Suit was a little rough, but I used it anyway.  It did not seem as well made as many of the Gundam models I have seen - maybe that is why they are relatively cheap.











No comments:

Post a Comment