Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Trench on Treads

The Rolling Trench

Inspiration

I wanted to make a vehicle to go with some of my miniatures that would be like a mobile trench system, with machine gun nests, troop carrier capacity, and an observation post. This is what my warped mind came up with.

Materials

Again, I am using my widest plastic tape spool (2" wide), some plastic sheet (from which I have already cut the discs for either side of the spool, an interesting plastic hexagonal piece (which I have cut in half), some parts from a Tamiya 2/35th Bradly AFV, some treads from a Tamiya 1/35th scale SGT York, parts of the wings from an Osprey model kit (for the blade, and not the same pieces), and some bits from my bits box.  The white thing inn the back will probably not be used in the project, but I am not sure yet.  Anyway, it is a part of some toy and says US Mail on it.


This is the layout from above front.  As you can see, I have made the blade.  It may not be obvious from the photo, but the parts I used for this blade are from different parts than the one I made for the tank. You can see the holes that my hole cutter makes when I cut a disc. Since they will be covered, the holes are not going to be a problem.






This is the overhead view of the vehicle thus far.  As noted above, the white piece will not be in the final product.










I got really lucky and found this piece to use as the body of the rolling trench.  This is the front view.
This is the side view of the same piece.  It cam out of an old printer, and the tape spool fits really well inside of the piece.
Here is the same piece, from the side, with the tape spool inserted.
Here is the same piece, from the front, with the tape spool inserted.
 Here is a view of the same piece, with the spool inserted, and the sides laid out to illustrate what I will be doing. This view is above and to the front of the vehicle.
This is the same layout taken from the top.












This is a front view of the Trench on Treads.  It will still take a lot of work before it is finished, but I got really lucky with the printer piece as I won't have to do much work on the front - just primarily fill it in.
This is the side view of the vehicle.  I will have to remove parts of these sides so that I can glue my discs on either side.

No comments:

Post a Comment