Thursday, July 31, 2014

An Interesting Use of a Plastic Easter Egg

An Egg Flyer

Inspiration

I have a lot of bits, and I was looking through them and came across a GI Joe Cobra flight pod...or at least parts of it as I do not have a complete one.  I had realized some time ago that if I found the right piece that I could make an interesting flyer.  I was thinking of something like a Huey used in the US military in the 70s with an open door for the gunner. Anyway, this is the beginning of what I came up with.

Materials

I am only using the back, or main part of the flight pod, and the jet piece, a plastic Easter egg, and the motor housing from a Zoids Gustav.  I was

The Flyer


This is the front view of the flyer. As you can see, the white/gray parts are from the flight pod and the yellow part is an Easter egg. I did not have to do any cutting on the flight pod parts, only on the egg to get the parts to vit together.  The eggs come in various sizes, so you will have to try to find the right size. I buy Easter eggs every couple of years or so because they are a great source of plastic shapes for various projects.
This is the side view of the flyer so far.  The brownish areas of the flight pod seem to be glue. I had to remove some stickers from the flight pod that had been on it for a very long time. The best way to remove such stickers is by using WD-40. The blue you can see are the markings I had to make to cut the egg.
The top view of the flyer.












In this picture, I have the egg with the Flight Pod as above, a complete motor unit from a Zoids Gustav, the parts I removed from the motor unit housing, and the part of the housing I will be using is in the lower right.  The very small piece I removed at the bottom center will be the shield for the gun.
In this picture, the only differences from the one above is the addition of the jet pack piece on top of the egg and I have flipped the piece I will use over at bottom right.  The white parts on the piece I will use are some sheet plastic I have cut to close off one end and seperate where the gunner will sit from the rest of the vehicle.  I made the cuts in the motor housing using a hole cutter.
In this picture, I have moved the piece from the bottom right of the pictures above and placed it where it will be when I am finished.
This is the right side view of the vehicle.  You can see where I have closed off this end of the motor housing piece.
This is the left side view of the vehicle.  It is not as easy to see the piece of plastic I have inserted to close off the gunners area.  At this point, I need to close up some holes, add a hatch or door on the other side, and create the gunner and the gun.








The Primed Vehicle


This is the front view of the vehicle.  The gunner is still not finished yet, but I didn't want to wait for the gunner to be finished before I painted it.
This is the left side view of the vehicle.  You can still see the yellow of the egg inside of the opening.  The white area is an opening I left and the white is because it is the color of the flight pod.
This is the right side view of the vehicle.  I dropped it and so there is a little chip on the lower right area of the cabin.

The Finished Vehicle

Here are various pictures of the finished egg vehicle.  I have not added the gunner yet, but that is another subject.  I am very pleased with this conversion as it mainly consists of four pieces: the egg, the motor housing unit from a Zoids Gustav, the main part of a GI Joe Flight Pod, and the jet piece, also from the GI Joe Flight Pod.  I added a door from an old GW Rhino, some sheet plastic, the plastic rod that holds it up, and two other bits from my bits box.  The last two are on top of the cabin.  The Easter egg should not be too difficult to get your hands on and the flight pod is available on Ebay.  The only piece which may be difficult to acquire is the motor unit housing from the Zoids Gustav.





No comments:

Post a Comment